Eat like your life depends on it is not to be considered a response to the current pandemic crisis, but as an investment in your future health and wellness.
The ongoing benefit of putting in the effort now to improve your nutrition goes hand in hand with our long-term approach to wellness and preserving your quality of life for years to come.
Nutrition counselling at Natural Medicine & Rehabilitation will focus on nutritional therapies shown to have strong clinical efficacy. Common problems that, at least in part, are managed nutritionally by our physicians include: blood sugar control problems, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, gastrointestinal dysfunction and disease, hormonal imbalances, food hypersensitivities, fatigue, inflammatory joint problems and many autoimmune conditions. Blood and other lab testing may be a necessary component of a patient’s diagnostic workup.
Either by itself or in conjunction with other medical therapies, nutritional intervention many times proves to be a critical part of a patient’s therapy. Being monitored by a healthcare provider who specializes in nutrition will ensure your long-term health while you lose weight and build muscles so that your efforts aren’t putting you at risk for other health related issues. If you need help visit www.NMRNJ.com/appointment-request/ for a VIRTUAL or in-office complimentary new patient consultation
Yes! As an Essential Business during the COVID-19 crisis, we are here to help you with drug-free therapies to help you avoid surgery and keep you out of emergency rooms. If you are experiencing musculoskeletal pain, before you self-medicate to manage pain and risk side effects from pills, and possible addiction; please request a complimentary VIRTUAL new patient consultation to see how our services can help your healthcare concerns by visiting www.NMRNJ.com/appointment-request/ .
As some restrictions are lifted and we begin to re-open the economy, we know that people with compromised immune systems, be it from pre-existing health conditions, medications or ongoing unhealthy lifestyle choices, will need to continue to be extra careful.
Take inventory of your health habits and decide now to make the changes necessary to improve your health and your immune system’s competency and resiliency for true health and a strong immune defense system against any and all illness!
We are open and here to help! To request a complimentary VIRTUAL new patient consultation to see how our services can help your healthcare concerns, visit www.NMRNJ.com/appointment-request/ .
With COVID-19, life may not be the same as it was when we began 2020, and things might not return to normal as soon as we would like. But one thing hasn’t changed: our need to gain control of the daily lifestyle choices we make that are either bringing us closer to health and wellness or closer to disease.
We know that people with compromised immune systems, be it from pre-existing health conditions, medications or ongoing unhealthy lifestyle choices, will need to continue to be extra careful. And possibly more importantly, they and all of us are best served by taking inventory of our health habits and deciding now to make the changes necessary to improve our health and our immune system’s competency and resiliency. Those changes above all else are the real answers to true health and a strong immune defense system. Against any and all illness!
Challenge yourself to take responsibility to ensure yours and your family’s health and quality of life for years to come. We can help. Schedule your complimentary new patient virtual consultation by visiting www.NMRNJ.com/appointment-request/
Immune boosting strategy: ORAL DETOX
Our mouth is home for billions of bacteria organized in a complex ecosystem similar to the microbiome in our gut.
The microbiome is an essential part of our immune system creating barriers and preventing bad bacteria and other pathogens from colonizing (infections). The foods we eat, stress, toxins, lack of sleep among others can damage this ecosystem, giving an upper hand to infections and weakens immunity.
Here are 3 habits to support your oral ecosystem:
1.Tongue scraping : removes bacteria from your tongue, decreasing bacterial burden in your mouth
2.Oil pulling: coconut oil is a natural antifungal and antibacterial. Use one teaspoon and swish swash in your mouth for 5 to 15 minutes. Spit in garbage not sink!
3. Use an activated charcoal toothpaste once per month. Activated charcoal has a negative charge, attracting positively charged bacteria in your mouth and also disrupts biofilms aka plaque.
Side effects: great breath, healthier teeth and gums, happier immune system!
NMR is offering virtual detox consultations for those who want to learn more!
The following immune boosting strategies are lifestyle based steps to get and keep your immune system strong. Please understand that this doesn’t happen overnight, and that acquiring and maintaining these lifestyle-based habits all year long is what prepares an immune system for battle.
- Step 1 – Reduce the effects of stress on your body and mind with daily action steps that effectively temper the negative effects of stress. Be aware of the worry, anger and catastrophizing that we are guilty of all too much. These things have absolutely been shown to weaken immune function.
- Step 2 – Sleep 7-9 hours. Possibly the most critical of the lifestyle habits to improve on for the sake of our immune health. And preferably having our sleep schedule at optimal times in synchronization with night/day rhythms.
- Step 3 – Workout every day. Super immune booster. Just don’t overdo it as that will weaken your immune system over time.
- Step 4 – Spinal Manipulations: By optimizing movement of the spine, research has shown for it to enhance overall immune function.
- Step 5 – Keep all toxins out of your life as best possible. This includes all junk that we eat and drink. Know that ‘junk food’ is a misnomer. There is food and there is junk. Feed your body food! Careful of cosmetics, cleaning products, etc. In an attempt to look good and be clean we may be toxifying our bodies and brains. Know the effects of what you put into AND onto your body.
- Step 6 – Healthy real food diet. A lot and diverse amounts of fibrous vegetables and fruit. These foods are critical for a healthy microbiome (good gut bacteria). And a healthy strong microbiome is critical to a strong immune system. Limit high sugar fruits like bananas, mango, grapes and pineapple.
- Good quality protein at each main meal.
- Snack on wholesome unprocessed nuts, seeds and berries.
- Limit grains and dairy.
- Do not skip meals. Throwing off your blood sugar is bad for the immune system.
- Drink plenty of pure clean water. Hydrate and detoxify every day
- Step 7 – Vitamins: Supplementation is a healthy option, but only to compliment a healthy and immune boosting lifestyle. Here are some key supplements for immune function:
- High quality multi-vitamin and multi-mineral supplement
- Vitamin C 2000 mg/day
- Vitamin A 10,000 iu/day
- Vitamin D 2000-4000 iu/day
- NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) 2000 mg/day
- There are some herbs that are great too.
It is certainly suggested to schedule an appointment to learn more about immune function and the steps you can take to fully strengthen yours. Complimentary new patient consultations are available virtually or in-person.