The following immune boosting strategies are lifestyle based steps to get and keep your immune system strong. Please understand that this doesn’t happen overnight, and that acquiring and maintaining these lifestyle-based habits all year long is what prepares an immune system for battle.
- Step 1 – Reduce the effects of stress on your body and mind with daily action steps that effectively temper the negative effects of stress. Be aware of the worry, anger and catastrophizing that we are guilty of all too much. These things have absolutely been shown to weaken immune function.
- Step 2 – Sleep 7-9 hours. Possibly the most critical of the lifestyle habits to improve on for the sake of our immune health. And preferably having our sleep schedule at optimal times in synchronization with night/day rhythms.
- Step 3 – Workout every day. Super immune booster. Just don’t overdo it as that will weaken your immune system over time.
- Step 4 – Spinal Manipulations: By optimizing movement of the spine, research has shown for it to enhance overall immune function.
- Step 5 – Keep all toxins out of your life as best possible. This includes all junk that we eat and drink. Know that ‘junk food’ is a misnomer. There is food and there is junk. Feed your body food! Careful of cosmetics, cleaning products, etc. In an attempt to look good and be clean we may be toxifying our bodies and brains. Know the effects of what you put into AND onto your body.
- Step 6 – Healthy real food diet. A lot and diverse amounts of fibrous vegetables and fruit. These foods are critical for a healthy microbiome (good gut bacteria). And a healthy strong microbiome is critical to a strong immune system. Limit high sugar fruits like bananas, mango, grapes and pineapple.
- Good quality protein at each main meal.
- Snack on wholesome unprocessed nuts, seeds and berries.
- Limit grains and dairy.
- Do not skip meals. Throwing off your blood sugar is bad for the immune system.
- Drink plenty of pure clean water. Hydrate and detoxify every day
- Step 7 – Vitamins: Supplementation is a healthy option, but only to compliment a healthy and immune boosting lifestyle. Here are some key supplements for immune function:
- High quality multi-vitamin and multi-mineral supplement
- Vitamin C 2000 mg/day
- Vitamin A 10,000 iu/day
- Vitamin D 2000-4000 iu/day
- NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine) 2000 mg/day
- There are some herbs that are great too.
It is certainly suggested to schedule an appointment to learn more about immune function and the steps you can take to fully strengthen yours. Complimentary new patient consultations are available virtually or in-person.