Think PINK, show your support, and encourage the ladies in your life to get their screenings. Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among women aged 20-59 worldwide.
Natural Medicine & Rehabilitation supports Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
NMR encourages making lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of all types of cancer.
• Eat a variety of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Fruits, vegetables and whole grains contain vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants, which may play a role in cancer prevention. Choose a variety of fruits and vegetables so that you get an array of vitamins and nutrients.
• Exercise at least 30 minutes on most days. Strongly consider utilizing some form of resistance training to your exercise sessions. Building and maintaining your muscle mass has shown to be very important for all aspects of health and wellness. If you’ve been inactive, start slowly and build up gradually to 30 minutes. Also, talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program.
• Maintain a healthy weight. If you have a healthy weight, work to maintain your weight by combining a healthy diet with daily exercise. If you need to lose weight, ask your doctor about healthy ways to achieve your goal. Aim to lose weight slowly by increasing the amount of exercise you get and reducing the number of calories you eat.
• If you choose to drink alcohol, limit the amount of alcohol you drink to no more than one drink a day for women and two for men.
• Stop smoking. Talk to your doctor about ways to quit that may work for you.
Dr. Sferra is the Founder and Director of Physical Rehabilitation
at Natural Medicine & Rehabilitation.
He is Board Certified in Chiropractic Medicine, a Certified Clinical Nutritionist and is
CSCS certified by the National Strength & Conditioning Association.
Dr. Sferra is the recipient of the “2005 Spirit of Somerset” Award
for his outstanding contribution to Health and Wellness in the community.