Certain foods can help reduce allergy symptoms by reducing inflammation and boosting your immune system.
- Yogurt, containing live active probiotics, can help maintain a healthy gut and may help provide allergy relief.
- Ginger is known to reduce inflammation.
- Almonds and cashews are a great source of magnesium, a mineral which may help you breather easier.
- Chia seeds, help seeds and ground flax seeds are high in Omega-3s which can help ease nasal swelling.
- Berries, cherries and citrus fruit have an abundance of Quercetin and Vitamin C which helps block histamines.
- Honey is a natural sweetener and an anti-inflammatory
- Enjoy a cup of green tea with this yogurt parfait! It is important to drink lots of fluids to help purge the allergens from your system. Green tea has a compound called EGCG, which my help you further ease your allergy symptoms.
Granola Topping Recipe:
4 cups of oats
1 cup of chopped walnuts nuts
1 cup of finely chopped almonds
1 cup unsweetened coconut
2 Tbs. each of Chia seeds, Hemp seeds and/or ground Flax seeds
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
3 egg whites, whisked until foamy
1 Tbs. Vanilla
2 Tbs. Maple syrup or Honey (optional)
2 Tbs. Coconut oil, melted (or olive oil)
- Mix together and press into a large baking pan
- Bake 300 degrees for 50-60 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Store in air tight container
- Enjoy with milk or sprinkle over yogurt.
Honey-Ginger Drizzle Recipe:
1 inch of fresh Ginger, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup of Honey
1/4 cup of water
In a small sauce pan, bring the honey, water and ginger slices to a boil. Stir to dissolve the honey and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat and let cool and set aside to drizzle over your Yogurt Parfait.
(The Honey-Ginger Drizzle would also be good in tea)
Yogurt Parfait Directions:
In a glass mason jar or wide mouth wine glass, assemble the parfait by adding a generous scoop of plain yogurt. Make sure your yogurt contains probiotics with live active cultures and no added sugar.
Top with a layer of fresh berries such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and chopped topical fruit such as pineapple.
Top with another scoop of yogurt and some of the granola. Before serving add some of the Honey-Ginger Drizzle and enjoy!