- 2-3 lbs. of bones that have lots of connective tissue from chicken, turkey, pork, beef and/or lamb.
When using food as medicine you want to be sure you are using organic, pastured chicken or grass-fed bones to obtain the maximum health benefits.
- 3 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar.
No substitutes as apple cider vinegar is the most acidic vinegar which helps to break down and release the minerals into your broth.
- 3 cups vegetables and herbs to enhance the flavor such as onions, carrots, celery, parsley, thyme.
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Filtered water, enough to cover the bones and vegetables.
- If your bones are raw, roast them at 425 degrees for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, add the bones, apple cider vinegar, the veggies and herbs, along with the salt and peppercorns.
- Fill the pot with enough filtered water to cover the bones. Let this sit for about 30 minutes before you turn the heat on. This gives the vinegar time to help extract, breakdown and release nutrients from the marrow within the bones making your broth more nutritious and flavorful.
- Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to the lowest setting on your stove.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for 24 – 48 hours.
- Strain the broth using a fine mesh calendar.
- Chill overnight and then scrape off the fat.
- Store the broth in jars in your refrigerator or freezer.
While the broth is simmering, the healing nutrients are released into the broth in a form your body can easily absorb. You can sip on it this nutrient-dense broth by itself or use it for soup, or to sauté vegetables.
Bone broth has many health benefits:
- Joint health, bone broth is a good way to add gelatin to your diet which can protect your joints.
- Heals Intestinal Permeability or Leaky Gut. Bone broth is easy to digest and aids in the digestion of other foods. It helps reduce inflammation and helps heal the intestinal barrier enabling the body’s ability to better digest food and absorb nutrients.
- Sleep: The amino acids in bone broth may help you relax. fall asleep faster and get a more restful night’s sleep.
- Weight Loss. Bone broth is high in protein, which can help people trying to lose weight feel fuller longer.
About the author:
Dr. Claudia Tamas is the Director of Women’s Health at Natural Medicine & Rehabilitation, coordinating a multitude of services and leading a team of clinicians to achieve a unique approach that holistically serves women throughout all stages of their lives.