These Protein Energy Bites provide a healthy mix of carbohydrates and protein. Enjoy as a snack between meals or to refuel after a workout. The dried dates and pineapple rings are healthy carbohydrates that add a touch of sweetness and provide you with energy. The nuts provide protein which helps repair muscles and will keep you feeling full longer. Eating adequate amounts of protein and a low carbohydrate diet can help build muscles and change your metabolism, enabling your body to burn its own fat for fuel instead of using sugars ad starches for energy.
2 cups organic, unsalted mixed nuts
5 organic pitted dried dates
2 dried pineapple rings
1 Tbsp. of NMR’s Protein Powder*, vanilla or chocolate
2 Tbsp. organic unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- In a food processor, pulse the mixed nuts and dates on high until combined to a smooth consistency.
- Chop the pineapple rings into small chunks.
- In a small bowl, add the nut mixture, pineapple, protein powder and 1 Tbsp. of coconut. Hand mix util combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture then hand-roll into bite-sized balls.
- Roll the balls in the remaining 1 Tbsp. of coconut.
*The protein NMR recommends is a vegetarian (pea & rice) based complete protein packed with fiber, carbohydrates, a healthy fat content, no fillers and 21 grams of protein per serving!
Dark Chocolate Covered Protein Energy Bites
Use the above recipe and dip the balls in melted dark chocolate, then sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut. Refrigerate for a few minutes until the chocolate hardens. Enjoy!