This excellent functional exercise benefits all patients who are looking to achieve deep core strengthening to support their lumbar spine and hip-pelvic complex as well as shoulder stability.
Main muscles involved:
- Pelvic floor and deep abdominal muscles
- Oblique muscles recruitment for lateral abdominal support
- Gluteus Medius strengthening (outer tight)
- Adductor stability (inner thigh)
- Upper body and shoulder complex support
- Deep spinal stabilizers
Start position: Side lying as shown in the picture making a “bridge” between the floor facing hip and shoulder.
Step 1: The patient is prompted to engage pelvic floor and activate abdominals as they exhale
Step 2: Keeping pelvic floor and abdominals engaged, the patient lifts the hip off the floor maintaining neutral spinal alignment (inhale)
Step 3: Hold position for 3 seconds
Step 4:Return to start position (exhale)